Ascaso STEEL Uno Professional - PID Version 4 Changes
As of April 2015 production:
- Ascaso is combining the ground/ pod system into one; this means: no more conversion kits!
- New grouphead design (now made of 100% solid brass)
- There are no internal changes from V3
The addition of the PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller on this (already great!) Ascaso espresso machine, provides even more cutting-edge technology and control for the espresso enthusiast and/ or gadgetry geek! The PID display mechanism allows the operator to program the temperature of the boiler with greater precision. This in turn, allows the home barista to fine-tune the water temperature to the specific needs of the particular blend of coffee being consumed. Some coffee blends require a moderate temperature of 195°F, whereas others demand the full extraction power of 204°F. Precision like this results ultimately, in a more perfectly-defined espresso!
In addition to the PID, the Ascaso STEEL Uno Professional-PID 4 espresso machine has incorporated many other improvements, over earlier versions:
- Increased cup height between portafilter and drip tray (to 3.35 inches)
- Lateral removable water reservoir (from right side) allows easy access for refilling and cleaning without moving the machine away from overhead cabinets. The clear reservoir also allows you view the water level.
- The cool touch and multi-directional steam wand allows brief handling for moving the wand after steaming your milk
- A rubber protector over the wand allows for holding the wand for longer periods of time (but not to exceed 5 seconds)
- The steam wand is now made of stainless steel
- The 325cL brass boiler (with nickel-plating) incorporates a professional grade three-way solenoid valve
- The professional-grade 58mm portafilter handle is designed with a 10 degree tilt, for ergonomic handling
- A non-slip grip on the portafilter handle, offers the home espresso aficionado the comfort of the professional barista
- Highly polished filter baskets with micro-fine smooth holes offer superior extractions over standard baskets
- Ascaso includes a solid aluminum tamper
Ascaso has outlined the following advantages of the STEEL Uno Professional over competing models in similar price ranges, and these include:
- Large size cup warmer (~14.5" x 10.6")
- PID display shows temperature of boiler in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Side rails (rear rail was removed from machines for the USA to provide greater area for cup warmer)
- Exterior body completely made of stainless steel
- Boiler over grouphead design allows water to evenly heat grouphead which leads to better espresso extractions
- Steam wand is multi-directional, sizes at 10mm professional grade, is made of stainless steel (unlike the chrome-over-brass wand, found on other machines), and includes internal hard plastic lining for cool touch capability with one-hole steam tip
- Ergonomic, no-slip grip, professional grade portafilter assembly knocks the socks off of the competition!
The main reason to get this machine is the taste of the espresso in the cup! The PID controller and thermal sensor on the boiler makes it happen at such an affordable price!
Like earlier models, the Ascaso STEEL Uno Professional-V4 requires approximately a 30-45 second wait time, to go from “coffee” mode to “steam” mode (after depressing the steam switch). One should always purge the steam wand before steaming/ frothing milk. After steaming milk, the operator can close the steam valve and depress the steam switch “off.” After placing a cup under the steam wand, the operator can rotate the steam valve/ knob to the “open” position, and the hot water switch must be depressed for the pump to activate, so that the water that is too hot can exit through the wand, and the temperature of the boiler can be brought down to make additional espresso. In “espresso coffee” mode, this machine can make back-to-back espressos until the reservoir runs out of water.
The professional-grade, three-way solenoid valve operates to relieve the pressure on the filter basket immediately when you depress the coffee switch to “off.” This prevents the so-called “explosion” of coffee grounds that commonly occurs on home espresso machines without three-way solenoid valves. The solenoid valve on this machine also assists in creating a dry puck after extraction (please note there are certain coffees, grinds, and amounts of coffee that will make a wet-extracted puck which no three-way valve can compensate for).
Ongoing cleaning and maintenance is critical with any espresso machine, but with the Ascaso STEEL Uno Professional it’s easy! Descale once every 3 months to remove the calcium/ magnesium build-up inside the machine. Backflush once every 50 espresso extractions. Clean the water reservoir once every 2 weeks, and the drip tray once every 3 days - each manually, a with non-abrasive dishwash detergent. To further protect your investment, plug the machine's electrical plug into a surge suppressor (1080 joules or higher). The surge suppressor should then be plugged directly into the wall outlet or a timer if you have one. In fact, if you do have a timer, make sure the coffee, hot water, and steam switches are in the “off” position (if accidentally left in the “on” position, machine could potentially be adversely affected, as timers have been known to cause surge damage).
Enjoy the Ascaso STEEL Uno Professional while preparing your favorite beverages, all in the comfort of your own home … espresso, cappuccino, latte, cafe americano, and hot chocolate, to name just a few!
Style Number: SUbfTbr4
- PID temperature programming allows user to change boiler temperature through the use of the digital display/ control panel on the front panel of the machine. The display reads out the current temperature of the coffee boiler.
- Brushed stainless steel finished body over a black enamel painted steel frame
- Water reservoir removable from the right SIDE of the machine
- Nickel-plated brass boiler capacity: ~325cc.
- Brass boiler is located directly over the brass grouphead for superior temperature stability compared to boilers that are offset from the grouphead.
- Ergonomic-styled brass filter handle with plastic grip
- Slide out drip tray made of plastic for easy cleaning (please note drip tray cover is part of machine). Front portion of pull out drip tray is in brushed stainless steel.
- Four selection switches: power on/ off, espresso extracting, hot water, and coffee/ steam mode
- Vent in top rear of machine allow heat near water reservoir to escape
- Blue lights (left to right) indicate power, heating (on when heating in coffee or steam mode), pump for hot water on, and steam mode (on when machine is in steam mode).
- Three-way solenoid valve allows the immediate removal of the filter handle when the espresso extraction is completed. The three-way valve also allows the operator to backflush the grouphead.
- Multi-directional steam wand allows for the desired angle of the steam wand into the steaming pitcher (recommended size 20 oz or less) on counter or when placed over drip tray.
- Passive cup warmer on top with side guard rails
- Measurements: ~11" W (including steam knob) or ~14" with steam wand extended out to side by ~14.0" H (including rail) in rear and ~15" H in front (including rail) by ~11.5" D from back panel to front of inserted drip tray and ~16.5 from back to tip of portafilter handle"
- Water tank: 2 liters
- Body: Brushed stainless steel
- Recommended tamper size: 58mm
- Weight: ~28.5 lbs
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Power: 1000 watts
- Pump Pressure: up to 16 bar (only 9 bar is needed to make espresso)
- PID boiler temperature controller in coffee mode. Steam thermostat controls steam temperature
- Accessories Included: filter handle with dual spouts, single cup filter basket, double cup filter basket, solid aluminum tamper (57mm), pod filter basket instruction manual and quick start guide
- Manufactured in Barcelona, Spain. Please note that inside Ascaso's 21st century warehouse, every Ascaso machine is tested with water and with testing equipment to ensure the highest quality standards are achieved.
- The instructional manuals for Ascaso are printed for worldwide distribution and covers almost every model produced worldwide. With this in mind, there may be features, accessories, or colors available in Ascaso equipment in other countries, but not available in our models produced for the United States.
- To program the boiler temperature, the operator needs to press the little "left” button on the temperature display and then immediately press the “right” button to show the program temperature. The left button can be pressed for each degree to decrease, and the right button can be pressed once for each degree to be increased.
- The right button on the temperature display can be pressed and held to shut off the PID controller. The PID controller will stay on even when the main power switch is shut off. When turned off, the PID controller will continue to display “OFF” until the machine is unplugged.
- If the unit arrives with a temperature display in Celsius, it can be changed. Before plugging the electrical cord to the electrical outlet, both buttons on the temperature display need to be depressed and held, while another person plugs the electrical cord into the electrical outlet. Once “F.03” is displayed, the two buttons can be released. Depress and release the “right” button once. It will display Celsius. Immediately depress the right button and “F” will display. Leave alone for 20 seconds, unplug the electrical cord from the electrical outlet, and then plug it back in after waiting 10 seconds. The display will now be in Fahrenheit.
- This is different from Version 3, in that the PID is now internally connected to the boiler. In previous versions it was connected to the outside of the boiler.
Product WarrantyAscaso Warranty:
2 Year Parts & Labor (limited to Manufacturer’s Defects, only)